Monday 21 December 2009

Why it did matter


So a lot has been said about how Rage Against the Machine's Xmas number 1 doesn't really matter, and in many ways it does and in many it doesn't.

I've read this morning lot's of arguements about how it's all a bit twee or all a bit RAWK or a bit sweary. About how Joe looks like a kicked puppy and how Sony win either way or the inbuilt irony of doing exactly what they were told to. Blogs have been lighting up over the past few weeks about how childish and silly it all is, once more the blogosphere has been bombed with the same topic. So what's one more to throw into the mix?

So I am going to ask you, just for a moment to ignore one key detail and I admit it is a key detail, but I would like you to ignore it anyway. Ignore the fact that it was Rage Against the Machine.
Yup that's right, if this appears to be the single largest bone of contention in most peoples arguments, then just for a second ignore it. This isn't hard to do as last year we (And I can say "we" as one of the people trying) attempted to do pretty much the same against Alexandra Burkes #1 with Pantera's Cemetery Gates as it was the 5 year Anniversary of Dimebag's sad death. Pretend instead it was KLF's what time is Love or The Mondays or anyone for that matter.

Would you still be having the same reaction you are now, then?

I know I would.

I would still be happy that people did something and just for a single moment stood up and said "actually I don't agree with that". It could've been "By the rivers of Babylon" by Boney M and I would've been punching the air in glee and blogging about it this morning.

Why? because it's good to remind people every now and then we're still here. This won't change anything, it's not like next year it won't be x-factor at Xmas number 1. But just for this year we shook things up, only a little, but we did.

Lastly I want to leave you with some numbers

Ratm for xmas number 1 facebook group: around 600k members and 502k record sales so approximately 83% of group bought one?

X-Factor final votes: approx. 4million (according to itv website) sales: 430k

Approximately 10% of x-factor voters buy the single?



See you next year for the KLF campaign


1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you on the KLF campaign Rich...

    :)

    Drew (Sigurd)

    ReplyDelete